WOMEN WHO DON’T WAIT IN LINE: Break the Mold, Lead the Way with Reshma Saujani
WOMEN WHO DON’T WAIT IN LINE: Break the Mold, Lead the Way is an urgent call to action for women to remake female leadership by rising politico, social activist and the founder of Girls Who Code, Reshma Saujani. We live in an era when girls are told they can do anything, be anything. Yet, there is still a major gap between men and women: men dominate the top ranks of corporations and government and as a result young women and girls don’t have role models to look up to, further perpetuating the cycle.
Sheryl Sandberg’s Lean In has done much to empower elite business women, but WOMEN WHO DON’T WAIT IN LINE goes even further: calling on younger women–of all races and backgrounds– to skip the line and live their dream. Vulnerable and intimate, Saujani offers her own experiences and failures as prescriptive advice on how to advance in the workplace (in small start-ups, government, or corporations) by forging a new path. Saujani’s manifesto empowers all women to unite, deviate from the past and create a new model of female leadership to propel future generations forward.
To skip the line, Saujani argues, we must change how we think about leadership, how we apply for jobs, what we teach our daughters, what we dream, and how we go for it. Saujani sets a new model of leadership that encourages competition, promotes taking risks over fear of failure, embraces ambition and authenticity, and is built on sponsorship. By reinventing, reshaping and retooling the traditional system to embrace womanhood, generations of women will advance and fulfill their dreams.
Above all else, WOMEN WHO DON’T WAIT IN LINE is an inspiring call to action from a woman who is still deep in the trenches and aims to ignite her fellow women to pursue their dreams.
Here are some things to consider:
- Apply for the job you’re not qualified for and learn by doing. Don’t wait to be told you are ready for a position; learn on the go, take assignments that will prepare you for the job you want.
- Be comfortable with risk taking and embrace failure. That is when you will learn the most. You cannot win, if you don’t make it to the starting line.
- Embrace your ambition with pride and share it. Take responsibility for making sure that people know who you are, the contributions you make, and what you want to achieve.
- Your sense of self-worth should not depend on other people’s feelings about you. Integrity is what will earn you respect.
- Write a personal mission statement and have a board of directors that help advise and keep you accountable for your goals.
- Ask for negative feedback, it will make you stronger and better at what you do.
- Be authentic to yourself. Acknowledge the role your family plays in your professional life and proudly display all of your dimensions.
- Don’t try to fit the mold of a successful business man, find strength in being a woman.
- Sponsorship is the new feminism. Embrace women in the workplace, invest in women, hire women, act as a mentor and share your network.
- Be competitive and raise the bar for your own personal best.
Search & Browse
Share Your IdeasAmy would love to hear your creative ideas for living well. Whether it's jazzing up leftovers or cutting the grocery bill, we’re all ears!Share With Us
Don't Be A StrangerAmy is all about being social. Take this opportunity to connect with her on Facebook, share ideas and enjoy free tips.Connect With Amy >
Where's Amy?Wondering what Amy is up to? Take a look at her calendar for all upcoming events.View Her Calendar >
POFM 167 x 167